[erlang-questions] A possible problem with the canonical listener idiom

John Haugeland stonecypher@REDACTED
Thu Jan 1 19:45:18 CET 2009

> at the end it clearly states that the use of {active, true} is not advised
> for high traffic conditions as it doesn't have flow control.

This isn't about flow control.  This is about losing initial packets because
they're going to the wrong process.  {active,once} is immune to the flow
control problem, and if you write a server capable of managing its own flow
control, the initial packets are still at risk of being lost.  Indeed, the
code you linked to suffers the defect I'm discussing, and can lose packets
for the same reason that the prior example can.

The example you gave does not resolve the perceived defect.