[erlang-questions] Is there a way to serialise a running process & resume it later (i.e. continuations)

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Feb 27 00:31:32 CET 2009

2009/2/26 Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker@REDACTED>

> Am Donnerstag, den 26.02.2009, 20:41 +0100 schrieb Robert Virding:
> > 2009/2/26 Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker@REDACTED>
> >         I've worked with seaside and really love this way of writing
> >         web apps.
> >         Sadly, you need continuations, a way to store a running
> >         process and
> >         continue it afterwards.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand why you want to store a running process. Why
> > not just leave the process and use it when needed?
> >
> > Robert
>
> To support e.g. the back-button behaviour in browsers elegantly. See the
> diverse seaside docs for an example how such a web framework can be
> used, and for a good explanation of why and what read "Inverting back
> the inversion of control or, continuations versus page-centric
> programming (2001)"
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.29.3112

Seeing the state of a process is kept explicitly in the arguments of the
functions implementing it it is easy to save the state of a process and so
step "backwards" when you want to. If you wish you can keep a stack of
process states and step backwards and forwards as you wish. If the problem
is just this then I still don't see the problem.

Robert