[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Thu Feb 26 16:41:28 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Zvi <exta7@REDACTED> wrote:

> Steve,
> you definitely at drinking kool aid stage.
>
> I love Erlang, it's practical language, but it's syntax and semantics can't
> be called beautiful.
> The biggest problem is overlap and impedance mismatch between various
> levels
> of the language/platform:
>
> 1. i.e. sequential/functional Erlang:  MFA
> 2. processes and message passing
> 3. OTP gen_server
>
> i.e. I can write:
>
> Res = my_mod:my_fun(Args)
>
> or
>
> Pid = spawn(my_mod, start),
> Pid ! {my_fun,Args},
> Res = receive Res -> Res end.
>
> or
>
> {ok,Pid} = gen_server:start(my_mod,[],[]).
> Res = gen_server:call(Pid, {my_fun, Args}).

I there any obstacle to make in module 'my_mod' function 'my_fun' to deal
with your requirements in all cases?

> compare this with Reia:
>
> Res = MyClass.MyMethod(Args)
>

> Another big problem with Erlang, that, while it makes implementation of
> hard
> things easy, the easy things are sometimes hard to implement in Erlang.
>
> Zvi
>

> --

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill your
boss.  Be a data hero!
Try Good Data now for free: www.gooddata.com