[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

mats cronqvist masse@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 15:06:59 CET 2009

"Michael T. Richter" <ttmrichter@REDACTED> writes:

>  If functional programming makes
> more sense to beginners, if imperative programming is so counter-intuitive, so
> difficult and so prone to failure (and I will agree 100% with that last
> point), how did it become the dominant paradigm for pretty much all of
> computing's existence?

  If you start with bare metal, and require that each langue generation
  adds a minimum of abstraction, you'll get somthing like this:

  Machine Code -> Assembly -> FORTRAN -> C -> C++ -> Java

  If your new language is too different from the current king of the
  hill, it will not be adapted.

  Extrapolating on this, I hereby predict the NextNextBigLanguage(*)
  will be something like clojure.

  mats

(*) The NextBigLanguage is of course Javascript.