[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 11:19:43 CET 2009

(Don't know why Yahoo insists on mangling replies, but here we go.)

Basically, at the end of the 90s, Ericsson chose to go with Java+UML and banned(!) new project starts in Erlang. Politically speaking, the mobile systems part of the company got to decide.

On the bright side, prior to this, Erlang was closed-source.

Best,
Thomas

But, really, one should ask, if Erlang was designed / evolved / selected with this goal, why is it that 20 years later most developers have never even heard of it?  I guess one possibility would be to blame Ericsson and credit MS and Sun for why C# and Java are the languages of choice for companies who care more about how easy it is to hire an army of developers than anything else.  There could be other possible explanations, though.