[erlang-questions] : abstract patterns vs macros was:( Floating guard sequences)

Fri Feb 20 09:32:45 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:44:35PM -0800, Anthony Molinaro wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:15:20PM +1300, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> >
> > On 20 Feb 2009, at 7:53 am, fess wrote:
> > > I'm sure I can learn something by asking,  why not just do this with
> > > macros?
> >
> > Well, you could start by reading the paper.
>
> I went looking for said paper and it's extremely hard to find.
> After hunting on google for 10 minutes with keywords like "abstract patterns",
> "abstract patterns erlang", "abstract patterns o'keefe", I eventually
> found 2 other papers which reference "Abstract Patterns for Erlang"
> by Richard O'Keefe, so that must be it, right?  Well another google
> search returns 3 results
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Abstract+Patterns+for+Erlang%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>
> None of which are the paper.  However the 3rd link eventually leads to
>
> http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200309/msg00309.html
>
> Which includes a paper with the title "Pattern Abstraction" apparently
> by Richard O'Keefe.

That should be it. You can find it from:
http://www.erlang.org/faq/faq.html section 10.14.
There you also find a link to Joe Armstrong's struct suggestion.

> So maybe that's the so called paper, or maybe there is another one out
> there?

I sincerely hope if this paper you found is wrong, someone will yell,
because I also had a hard time finding it.