[erlang-questions] Floating guard sequences

Dominic Williams erlang@REDACTED
Thu Feb 19 16:48:39 CET 2009

Hello Michael,

> This is a very preliminary proposal to extend Erlang's
> guard syntax (based on an idea I briefly mentioned in
> another thread).  I'd like to hear people's
> reactions....if there is interest, and if the OTP team
> doesn't say it's impossible for some reason, I'd be happy
> to write an EEP.

First, I find the resulting code very hard to read. Maybe
I'm just used to the current language, but I know that I
think first in terms of structure and algorithm, and only
secondarily in terms of typing. With the floating guards
interleaved with the structure of terms, I can't see what's
happening anymore.

Secondly, I am not favourable to anything which allows the
same code to be written two ways purely as a matter of
taste.

Regards,

Dominic Williams.
http://dominicwilliams.net