[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sun Feb 15 12:56:19 CET 2009

This is my take on the matter.

To start with I don't think one distribution scheme or library will
ever work - the work
making it consistent is colossal.

I rather like what's happened in the javascript world.

Here there is a core-language, and alternative sets of rather-good libraries.

To me a good library has

     - a book (or books) -
     - community who contribute to the library
     - a unifying principle
     - a set of applications that use the library

The javascript jquery and protoype libraries live up these criteria.

After I finished the erlang book I started writing a library and a number of
applications based on the library. My plan is:

     a) write a base library and applications
     b) open source it and invite community participial
     c) improve quality of library through participation
     d) write a book describing the library

I'm in the middle of a) - I now have a dilemma, should I release now or later.

advantages: early feedback
disadvantages: quality problems - it's in a bit of a mess, so it gets
a bad reputation.

Or wait a year or so:

advantages: higher quality of release
disadvantage: loose user feedback

Do you want software "early and buggy, badly documented" or
"late and better documented, higher quality"

I would welcome some feedback here

/Joe Armstrong