[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Dmitrii Dimandt dmitriid@REDACTED
Fri Feb 13 09:23:25 CET 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Nick Gerakines wrote:

> I'd like to step in and say that Erlang is an awesome platform for
> writing web services. In fact, to back that statement up, I'll let you
> metaphorically peak into how we are using it for just that.
>
> Here at EA we are building a pretty large web service powered by
> Erlang to support different parts of the EA Online group. We've been
> using tools like MochiWeb, etap (github.com/ngerakines/etap), protocol
> buffers (github.com/ngerakines/erlang_protobuffs), dynomite
> (github.com/cliffmoon/dynomite) (CAVEAT: it's unofficial/unimplemented
> but we've got use cases that jive), log_roller
> (github.com/JacobVorreuter/log_roller), ejabberd and list goes on.

That's exactly what fess was talking about. Had you not mentioned
these projects, no one would ever discover them (well, I would, but I
run a Russian Erlang-related-news site, so I scour the web, blogs and
mailing lists for news and bits and pieces of info)

Erlang should really get a repositroy that is as ubiquitous and as
easy to use as Ruby's gem or Perl's CPAN. Yes, there is a lot of utter
crap in those repositories, but they are valuable for the fact that
you can easily search and instal necessary modules.

For instance, I can name at least three mutually incompatible JSON
encoding/decoding libraries written for erlang (there are at least 5,
I think). Definitely at least two libraries dealing with utf-8. Two
OpenID projects. Two dedicated wrappers for traditional RDBMs (and a
third, which is a more general ORM-style library). At least three (I
think) projects that connect to Amazon's web services in one way or
another. Two projects interfacing with memcached. And the list *will*
grow. These are just projects I can name off the top of my head

"Let a hundred flowers blossom" (c) Mao Zedong

Quite often I don't think that authors of some of these project even
now that similar projects exist. Forget the users, they will *never*
even discover some of them :)