[erlang-questions] Inets and SSL

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sun Feb 8 15:39:26 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting ssl to work with inets httpd, and would be
very grateful for input/help on this one!

The server starts fine, returns a pid. The port (443) is definitely open
and listening according to the OS net stats. However, a connection from
a browser just hangs with "connecting" (TIME_WAIT). It all just stays
that way unless I stop inets in which case the browser will immediately
report "page not available".

Everything works fine for standard ip_comm. Also, if I move the pem
files, then inets won't start (so I'm sure it can "see" them). Also
these same cert/key pem files work fine if they are used for ssl with
Nginx, so I'm sure they are not corrupt. Finally, it seems to make no
difference at all if I have the "actual" erlang ssl application started
or not.

Here's the bare bones startup in which I've been trying all variants I
can think of (including ssl's keyfile, certfile,
ssl_ca_certificate_file, etc etc).

start_ssl() ->
	inets:start(),
	{ok, Pid} = inets:start(httpd, [
		{port, 443},
		{server_name,"localhost"},
		{server_root,"./tmp"},
		{document_root,"./tmp/htdocs"},
		{bind_address, "localhost"},
		{socket_type, ssl},
		{ssl_verify_client, 0},
		{ssl_certificate_file, "../ssl/cacert.pem"},
		{ssl_certificate_key_file, "../ssl/cakey.pem"},
		{modules, [my_mod, mod_head, mod_get]},
		{mimetypes, [
			{"css", "text/css"},
			{"js", "text/javascript"},
			{"html", "text/html"}
		]}
	]),
	Pid.

I'm probably doing something dumb, so any observations would be very
much appreciated!

/s