[erlang-questions] Message passing via shared memory

Onur Tokan otokan@REDACTED
Wed Feb 4 13:22:31 CET 2009

Hi - I would like to rerise the following discussion:

http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-September/022739.html

I'd like to know what's the current status. Stated on 2006, it depends
on the erlang implementation, and there is no direct pitfalls if it is
encapsulated from the developer. Is there any work in progress to
support message passing via shared memory or It's already done.

I'm pretty interested in this method, because while memory copying is
OK for MPP or clustered environments, its is much slower than memory
sharing on SMP environments if you are deailing with certain amount of
data.

Best Regards,
Onur

PS: I really like the commercial quality documentation of erlang, but
I think It would be great to have one that concentrate on internals of
the language like: optimizations, message passing, virtual machine,
lightweight processes, garbage collector etc.