[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Dec 29 22:40:51 CET 2009

2009/12/29 Brian Candler <B.Candler@REDACTED>

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:22:45AM +0100, egarrulo wrote:
> > I do agree wholeheartedly (that's why I cannot stand Eclipse). Let's just
> > not forget we all started bicycling with training wheels, and crawled
> before
> > walking (again, that's why I've suggested Emacs as IDE).
>
> I agree with the training wheels analogy, except that starting with Emacs
> would be like learning to fly a 747 before picking up the bicycle :-)

I can't agree here. The threshhold to start using emacs is very low, there
is nothing which forces you to use more than the about 10 basic commands you
need. The ceiling, however, is somewhere out in space. Sometimes I wonder if
the problem beginners have with emacs is that the knowledge of the existence
of all those other commands frightens them.

Seriously I can't give an objective comment here as I have used emacs for
almost 30 years and can't remember not knowing it. The key strokes sit in my
fingers. :-)

Robert