[erlang-questions] IDE Bashing (Was Re: [erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?)

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Tue Dec 29 02:12:34 CET 2009

Am I alone to think that lots of people organize their work in different
manners? People will draw graphs on paper, take notes on an empty file or a
sheet, organize stuff in tables, explore files with grep or whatever search
facility they have, use their IDEs, use code skeletons or auto-completion,
etc.

I'm usually annoyed by programmers' frequent search for one true way™ to do
things. Most of us have different ways to organize our thoughts when writing
texts, emails, preparing daily tasks (like groceries and whatnot), do math,
etc. Why would it be necessary for everyone to either use an IDE or use
none? We've got a bunch of languages all adapted to the task at hand. We
also have a bunch of tools adapted to different manners to organize
thoughts.

I'm having trouble grasping why some if not most of us often have a hard
time accepting different people might do things differently to achieve good
results. Why should anyone care about the tools the others use, as long as
the code is right, clean and maintainable?