Fwd: [erlang-questions] IDE Bashing (Was Re: [erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?)

Vlad Dumitrescu <>
Mon Dec 28 19:14:37 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 15:37, Illo de' Illis <> wrote:
> A job can actually be done when people are skilled, no matter the tools.

There are theories claiming that Renaissance painters used
photographic methods (for example,
does that make their work less beautiful? I think not. Would David's
statue have been less of a masterpiece if Michelangelo had used an
ultrasound chisel? Or more of one if he had only used a steel needle?
I think not.

What would have been different are other things: the author's bragging
rights (of course, it's more of a feat to paint Mona Lisa with one's
fingers instead of brushes), the effort (time, money) required to
complete a piece of work. (This from the standpoint that the end
results in all the alternative cases are identical).

So the first question is "what do I want to achieve?" and then "how do
I do it best?". The answer depends on many variables, so all answers
may be right or wrong depending on the circumstances.

best regards,