[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Thu Dec 24 12:15:06 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:46 AM, egarrulo <egarrulo@REDACTED> wrote:

> 2009/12/22 Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED>
>
> > I've programmed Fortran on VAX/VMS, even before I had an Emacs on it.
> > What's
> > the problem?
> >

> Would you throw away all your Emacs goodies and go back to that?
>
> That's the problem.

I understand that tools like IDEs are "nice to have", but they are not
programming.

About 80-90% of programming is thinking time. If it is not, then you are
experimenting, not designing and writing a system!

Experimentation can be valuable step when you are building a system, no
doubt. But when it gets to the nitty gritty, no amount of experimentation
will get you a solution; no matter how "productive" your tools may make you
feel.

When learning to program, a lot of what you do is experimentation, so an IDE
can be helpful. But only if you also learn that this is not enough!

Robby