[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake@REDACTED
Thu Dec 24 02:41:38 CET 2009

In the message <3dbc6d1c0912220713k66c18773o2c498d1523e616b7@REDACTED>
dated Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 04:13:04PM +0100,
Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED> writes:
> I've programmed Fortran on VAX/VMS, even before I had an Emacs on it. What's
> the problem?

I've programmed BLISS-32, MACRO-32, VAX C and of course the command
scripts on VAX/VMS without Emacs (though I had the EVE editor, which was
much easier to use than EDT - in VMS V5.4 in 1990-1991).

Syntax coloring is nice (and I'm writing this message in Emacs 22), and
other assistance goodies may help writing code, but after all you need
to read the code by yourself anyway.  And if a person doesn't like the
act of programming just because of that, so be it; most of programming
is still a tedious work of writing non-WYSIWYG sentences.

> Seriously, I think if you are that hung up on an IDE-based environment
> you've got problems anyway. In one sense having a very simple and basic
> environment may actually be easier to use just because it is so simple and
> basic which can make it easier to see and understand what is going on.

+1.

On Atmel AVR C(++) programming, I decided I'd rather use the good old
Make-error-and-retry method than depending on the AVR IDE environment.

> Robert

Kenji Rikitake