[erlang-questions] Re: Erlide packageability (was Re: "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or juststupid?)

Vasilij Savin vasilij.savin@REDACTED
Tue Dec 22 10:44:06 CET 2009

Greetings,

During our last project, I was single person using ErlIDE in team of ten.
Most people opted for Emacs and 2 people picked vim.

I used ErlIDE because I have used Eclipse extensively during my Java years
and I came to like it. However, the general quality is not there yet. I
managed to install it without a snap, but the feeling I got is that Emacs
has somewhat better support for Erlang than ErlIDE. Later on, I switched to
pure text editor (my x64 Linux could not run Eclipse for some vague reason)
without much pain.

The main advantages ErlIDE gave me was syntax checking, I could ensure that
my module did not have any syntax errors before compiling and code
templates. Otherwise, it gave no significant benefit.

Granted, perhaps my Erlang experience is too small-scale, but I got feeling
Erlang needs IDE less than Java, because it is more compact. One would be
insane to try coding serious Java project in text editor.

Regards,
Vasilij Savin