[erlang-questions] Identifying modules to load in a release file

Zoltan Lajos Kis kiszl@REDACTED
Sat Dec 19 19:16:35 CET 2009

All modules should be be grouped into applications. Mnesia is an
application, however ets is just a module: it is part of the stdlib
application.

Each application has a .app file (usually in the ebin dir) that tells
the version of the application and lists other applications it depends on.
Basically if you ever have an application:start(App) in your sources, it
should go here.
An example my_app.app, that shows the app is version 0.1, and depends on
four applications:

{application, my_app,
  [{description, "My Application"},
    {vsn, "0.1"},
    {applications, [mnesia, sasl, stdlib, kernel]},
  ]
}.

Based on these files you should be able to gather the list of all
applications you would like to start, and applications they depend on.
You can get the version of each application from the .app file (or from
the directory name).
So the 0.1 release of my_thing for R13B03 should look like:

{release, {"my_thing", "0.1"}, {erts, "5.7.4"},
   [{my_app, "0.1"},
    {mnesia, "4.4.12"},
    {sasl, "2.1.8"},
    {stdlib, "1.16.4"},
    {kernel, "2.13.4"}
  ]
}.

Regards,
Zoltan.

PS.: I guess kernel and stdlib is started anyway, so you don't need to
explicitly list them. It probably doesn't make any harm though.