[erlang-questions] Using Dialyzer on Ubuntu 9.10?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Sat Dec 19 12:05:00 CET 2009

Lovei Laszlo wrote:
> Kostis Sagonas wrote:
>> Jeremy Raymond wrote:
>>>
>>> Do I need to download/compiler Erlang myself with the debug info to use
>>> dialyzer or am I missing something here (can I find the debug info
>>> somewhere
>>> else)?
>>
>> I think you should do yourself a favour and scrap the Ubuntu Erlang
>> package and instead go for installing yourself the source version of
>> R13B03, which builds .beam files with debug_info in them (as it should).
>
> Why does Dialyzer not support building plt from source code?

It does.  But I doubt that the Ubuntu erlang package includes the source
code for libs.

> It would be
> an easy solution to install the packaged OTP sources and generate the
> plt from them.
>
>> Besides the ability to run dialyzer on your code, you will end up with
>> a better/newer Erlang system.  The installation process itself should
>> be trivial.
>
> You have a point here, but using packaged software has its own
> advantages too, and Erlang packages in Debian are getting better and
> better. (Maybe there will be packages built with debug_info sometime,
> who knows.)

In Debian yes.  In Ubuntu not.  Apparently, the Ubuntu people who
decided distributing erlang without debug_info do not fully understand
the consequences of their action (and their excuse is lame).  Somebody
who cares about Ubuntu should tell them.

Kostis