[erlang-questions] Parallel Make in OTP

Jachym Holecek freza@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 12:05:02 CET 2009

Hi Pete,

long time no see, how are you?

# Peter-Henry Mander 2009-12-17:
> There's a thread on erlang-bugs list discussing "Recursive Make
> Considered Harmful" [1] Which inspired me while I struggled with
> parallel make in our T-Build system in T-Mobile [2]. Despite the lack
> of activity on Code.Google.Com, I actively maintain T-Build in house.

This looks good! The download process isn't quite straightforward,
following the instructions misses the Template/Template-2.0 dirs,
so perhaps the Projects checkout needs to be done recursively.

Looking forward to seeing an updated version, I'd be insterested
in supporting git in addition to svn.

> I want to put my oar in and respectfully ask not to ditch Gnu Make in
> OTP. It's a much maligned beast with an ugly syntax, but it's a
> phenomenally powerful one. Other build tools just don't cut it.

Side note: Actually, bmake[1] can cut a lot of things. The way it's
traditionally used is the "good old" recursive make, which I agree
is rather suboptimal.

Regards,
	-- Jachym

[1] http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?make++NetBSD-current