[erlang-questions] status of EEPs

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Mon Dec 14 10:02:36 CET 2009

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was about to ask why there is no documentation regarding -type and
> -spec except for the EEP 8 text, but looking closer I see that the EEP
> isn't even accepted. And even those that have been accepted and
> finalized are still marked as "draft".
>
> Shouldn't the EEPs that are part of the distribution (even as
> experimental implementations) be marked somehow as such?
> And shouldn't the documentation explain them, in the worst case by
> linking to the EEP text? Other experimental features are documented...
> What is really the status of EEP8?
>
> Simply put, is it just a miss, or is there a reason for this?

There are many reasons for this (i.e., it's intentional).

In short: we are currently working on a major extension of EEP8 that
will remove one of its main limitations.  We are also contemplating on
changing some aspect of the EEP which, depending on how we do the
change, may not be compatible with the current text of the EEP.
However, users can expect that the core of the -spec and -type language
will stay unchanged.

Sorry for being a bit cryptic.  Full details to follow when the dust is
settled.

Kostis