[erlang-questions] Re: Constantly archiving old mnesia records

Bernard Duggan bernie@REDACTED
Tue Dec 8 00:23:51 CET 2009

Actually, this is pretty similar to the problem we're going to be
dealing with soon (except we shouldn't ever have duplicates).  We don't
need to archive the data at the moment, so I'm just running a sweeper
process to clean up stuff older than a certain age, but that won't be
the case in future versions.

I have similar fears to you regarding holding table locks for a long
period - not sure how it's going to pan out in practise under production
loads - it's been not too bad at all in testing though.

Currently the tack we're thinking of taking is to shift old stuff from
erlang to either an SQL or perhaps couchDB system.  This is possible in
our system because the "old" and "current" data are likely to be
accessed for totally separate and different purposes, so there's no need
to provide some common interface or replicate anything.  Always nice to
hear other people's ideas on the matter though.

Cheers,

Bernard