[erlang-questions] Re: Port forwarding / managed web

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Dec 7 18:43:49 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Use a "real" webserver to accept the requests on port 80/443, do whatever
>> request decoding is required, and then use the internal proxy modules
>> (mod_proxy on Apache, HttpProxyModule for nginx) to pass the requests back
>> to the applications as required.
>
> It is very, very bad idea to hide erlang after Apache. Even the
> smallest and the worst web server on erlang
> will be much more superiour than Apache.

If this statement isn't flame bait, it's at least very odd.

I'd discourage anyone from worrying about reverse proxy functions in
Erlang until you bump into a problem that purpose built servers like
Nginx or (the venerable) Apache+mod_proxy can't cope with. And even
then, don't :)

Garrett