[erlang-questions] Ternary Like Operation Idiom in Erlang

Jarrod Roberson jarrod@REDACTED
Thu Dec 3 16:33:17 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Michael Turner <leap@REDACTED> wrote:

>>Thanks to Dale's version I came up with this.
>>
>>F = fun(T) -> case re:split(T,"=",[{return,list}]) of [K] -> {K,true};
>>[K,V] -> {K,V} end end.
>
> Cute, but with whitespace trailing after the "=", you get {key, " "},
> which might not be the desired behavior.  Moreover, an embedded "=" in
> the Value part (e.g, key='a=1' or something ridiculous like that) will
> cause it to fail, which also might not be desired behavior.  Getting
> close, though.
>
> The following
>
> Fm = fun(T) ->
>   case re:split(string:strip(T),"=",[{return,list}]) of
>    [K] -> {K, true};
>    [K | V] -> {K, string:join (V, "=")}
>   end
> end.
>
> seems to cover those cases.  I'm assuming you don't care that there's
> no whitespace stripped from the left end of the V string.  But maybe you
> do.

"key= " is valid and should parse to {"key"," "}, the spec for what is
valid in my case is pretty strict.
there should only be one "=" and anything else should FAIL. I will
probably have to add some thing to catch
those cases but for now I just want to get it to work with valid data.