[erlang-questions] Controlled interaction of two erlang distributed networks

Richard Andrews bflatmaj7th@REDACTED
Fri Aug 28 00:21:02 CEST 2009

>> It would be nice if nodes did not keep opening more and more TCP
>> connections between the same two nodes in different directions.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Why not overlaying multiple Erlang node connections between two IP hosts
> into one TCP (or SCTP if needed) connection?

TCP is unsuitable due to head of line blocking. I expect this is the
main reason for the many connections. SCTP would remove such an issue
as a stream could be established for each purpose.

> One long-time argument for epmd: at least the source port address with
> bind() system call should be freely specified other than
> INADDR_ANY. I've seen this argument repeatedly on the list and I wonder
> why this has not been implemented yet.  Binding to INADDR_ANY is the
> least preferable choice, especially a host has multiple addresses bound
> into a network interface.

This is undesirable to me.

> I need something in Erlang to safely monitor/control/manipulate/whatever
> each other between BEAMs across the Internet.

I just use sockets and term_to_bin.