[erlang-questions] Controlled interaction of two erlang distributed networks

Richard Andrews bflatmaj7th@REDACTED
Thu Aug 27 14:21:49 CEST 2009

> I think making a new RPC protocol from scratch, such as:
>
> * with restricting the usage of TCP connection between two BEAMs to only
> one well-known destination port;

inet_dist_listen_min + inet_dist_listen_max does this.

> * preferably being able to forwarded through proxies (i.e. the
> addressing mechanism of BEAMs does not depend on DNS, IP addresses, or
> port numbers); and

It would be nice if nodes did not keep opening more and more TCP
connections between the same two nodes in different directions.
Distribution over SCTP might solve this issue. Does this exist?

> * running everything within a BEAM (and linked-in drivers) without
> anything like epmd

The directory (epmd) needs to be in a predictable location and it
cannot be in a node as it must monitor those. I do dislike the inet
and ssl helper processes that hang off beam nodes; although having
them separate has helped me debug some problems.

> will open a new opportunity for Erlang to become a practical system for
> monitoring/controlling distant systems over Internet.  This is a
> challenging but an interesting project.

You may be trying to re-cast erlang distribution for something it was
not intended to do.

--
  Rich