[erlang-questions] Getting reltool to work

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Wed Aug 19 14:48:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:07, Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED>wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Torben Hoffmann wrote:
>
> > I have a set of OTP applications that I would like to turn into a real,
> > deployable release with minimum pain (as usual).
> >
> > Hence, I looked at reltool and tried to give it a spin, but when I try to
> > point my root_dir to where I have all my applications I get complaints
> about
> > the lack of a lib directory.
> >
> > This is 100% true - I do not have such a dir, not even in the directories
> > for the individual applications (which all follow OTP directory
> structure).
> >
> > There seems to be some sort or requirements on my directory structure
> that I
> > cannot read out of the reltool documentation - could someone please give
> me
> > a hint on how to proceed?
>
> The 'root_dir' must refer to the root directory of an installed Erlang
> system. If you have additional applications that do not reside under
> under its lib directory, you can either user the ERL_LIBS environment
> variable (see the man page for code) to refer to additional "lib"
> directories. Or you can use the configuration parameter 'lib_dirs' in
> reltool to obtain the same result. A lib direcory is expected to
> contain application top directories.

Ahh, that explains so I can understand it! Thanks!!

But, alas, I cannot get it to work:
9> reltool:start([{sys,[{lib_dirs,["ErlangProject/abekat/"]}]}]).
** exception exit: {badmatch,{error,"Illegal parameter:
{sys,[{lib_dirs,[\"ErlangProject/abekat\"]}]}"}}
     in function  reltool_sys_win:do_init/1
     in call from reltool_sys_win:init/1
     in call from proc_lib:init_p_do_apply/3
Note that I am running this through cygwin and for the record I have tried
using different paths, including the full path, to no avail.

> Unfortunately the target generation part of reltool does not work so
> well in the current release.It will be greatly improved in R13B02.
> Contact me privately if you are interested in using it earlier than
> that.

Using it earlier depends on the roadmap for Erlang (can I wait for it?!?!) -
I tried to look at erlang.org to find it, but was not able to dig it up...
is there such a thing available for public eye? Or is that kind of info for
EUC participants only??? ;-)

Cheers,
Torben

--