Accreditation statement, on documentation

Dave Pawson dave.pawson@REDACTED
Wed Aug 12 07:55:59 CEST 2009

I asked about an accreditation statement.
This was the reply.
Looks good to me.
Any comments?

Noted, the reference to code and not documentation?
Wonder if Ericsson need telling about that?

regards DaveP

> Current copyright says
>
>    The contents of this file are subject to the Erlang Public License,
>      Version 1.1, (the "License"); you may not use this file except in
>      compliance with the License. You should have received a copy of the
>      Erlang Public License along with this software. If not, it can be
>      retrieved online at http://www.erlang.org/.
>
>      Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS"
>      basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See
>      the License for the specific language governing rights and limitations
>      under the License.
>
>    </legalnotice>
>
> I'm looking for something to add to my 'copy' that
> says hey, this is accredited to Ericsson
> or 'source accredited to Ericsson.
>
> Any suggested phrasing please?

Maybe:

"Modifications to this documentation file originally developed by
Ericsson were made by Contributor Dave Pawson, Copyright 2009, and are
licensed subject to the terms of the Erlang Public License."

Section 3.5 of the License provides in relevant part:

"If You created one or more Modification(s), You may add your name as a
Contributor to the notice described in Exhibit A."

 "Contributor" is capitalized because it is a defined term in the
License. The critical step seems to be adding the information to the
end of Exhibit A of the Erlang Public License.

Somewhat confusing because the license by its own terms applies only
to executable and source code, not to documentation.  But given the
language in the documentation saying that it's subject to the EPL, my
guess is that a judge would try to make some sense out of the
situation rather than declaring the grant of rights void.

Hope this helps. If you'd like me to remodel the suggested language,
just let me know.

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.