[erlang-questions] Low disk logging performance in SMP

Ahmed Ali <>
Sun Apr 26 09:21:36 CEST 2009

I guess this is similar to the findings in the blogs below. I didn't
know selective receives are so slow but apparently you are right, sync
processing is much better for these kind of situations. I always
thought this is due to bad IO performance.

Having said that, I'm curious of a solution to the selective receive
slowness in erlang. Does any one think a solution like appending
messages to BDB-style persistent queues or memcacheq helps? This is
particularly useful in cases where high load could lead to large
queues and possibly a crash. I've seen such a solution in a telecom
application which is working quite fine.

Best regards,