[erlang-questions] Problems with Mnesia and failure situations

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Thu Apr 23 09:22:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Teemu Antti-Poika wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Teemu Antti-Poika wrote:
> >
> >> Apparently mnesia timing out on node A when I unplug/shutdown node B
> >> is a necessary evil?
> >
> > What is timing out? Mnesia on node A should just reconfigure itself
> > and recover those transactions that involved node B.
>
> Mnesia itself survived, so my worry below is not justified (data is
> safe). In my application using mnesia the mnesia transactions timed
> out, eventually causing the supervisors to react. But I guess that is
> to be expected.

Mnesia should reconfigure itself rather quickly when node B is
shutdown, but the ongoing transactions will have to pay a little
penalty when this happens. Depending on which phase that the
transaction is in, different actions are taken.

What is the purpose of shutting down your application if a Mnesia
transaction takes too long time? Are you trying to implement hard
real-time behavior on top of Mnesia?

/Håkan
---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)