[erlang-questions] Couple of questions about mnesia locking

ryeguy ryeguy1@REDACTED
Sat Apr 4 19:54:44 CEST 2009

Hmm..well what if we had a transaction where we add to a bank account
balance. You obviously read the balance then increment it.

If NodeA and NodeB both have replicas of the table containing the
balance, couldn't this happen:

NodeA reads balance of 5
NodeB reads balance of 5
NodeA writes balance of 10
NodeB writes balance of 15

Since there is no read lock on each node? I'm assuming it would work
like this because, if I understand correctly, the locks are acquired
AS the transaction processes, and not the second the transaction fun
is executed, right?

In this situation, is the solution to simply just grab a write lock on
the record when reading it?
This poses another question: how do you acquire a write lock on a
record when you do an index read?