[erlang-questions] Where can I use gen_server?

ryeguy ryeguy1@REDACTED
Thu Apr 2 04:34:44 CEST 2009

Well why doesn't this work then?

start()               -> gen_server:start({global, ?MODULE}, ?MODULE,
[], []).
stop()                -> gen_server:call({global, ?MODULE}, stop).
test()                -> gen_server:cast({global, ?MODULE}, test).
test2()                -> gen_server:cast({global, ?MODULE}, test2).

init([]) ->process_flag(trap_exit, true),
    {ok, 0}.

handle_cast(test, State) ->
	timer:sleep(3000),
	io:format("asdasd"),
	{noreply, State};
handle_cast(test2, State) ->
	timer:sleep(3000),
	3=4,                 %%% deliberate error
	{noreply, State}.

handle_call(stop, _From, State) ->
    {stop, normal, stopped, State};
handle_call(test2, _From, State) ->
	3=4,
    {noreply, State}.

handle_info(_Info, State) ->
    {noreply, State}.

terminate(_Reason, _State) ->
    ok.

code_change(_OldVsn, State, _Extra) ->
    {ok, State}.

When I call test2() then call test(), test2 (obviously) crashes, but
test() appears to be terminated too.