[erlang-questions] Simle Erlang Question (Binary "String" to Erlang "String")

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Sun Sep 28 04:50:05 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM, David Lloyd <lloy0076@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've pasted an erlang shell session below but I'll ask my question here
> so you don't have to wade through it if you don't want to.
>
> I have gotten this:
>
>  3> {ok, File}=file:read_file("hello.b64").
>  {ok,<<"SGVsbG8sIHdvcmxkIQ==\n">>}

19> binary_to_list(<<"SGVsbG8sIHdvcmxkIQ==\n">>).
"SGVsbG8sIHdvcmxkIQ==\n"

> I want to make File into an Erlang string so that effectively if I asked
> for its value in the shell I'd get something like this:
>
>  4> File.
>  "SGVsbG8sIHdvcmxkIQ==\n"
>
> I've been reading "Programming Erlang" by Joe Armstrong, the online R12B
> reference manual, the "Stdlib" documentation and "Concurrent Programming
> in Erlang" (or at least the parts that are publically released) in which
> Joe Armstrong is one of the authors.

In addition to the stdlib documentation, there are a lot of useful things
hiding in the module erlang in the kernel application. That is where You
will find binary_to_list.

/Anders