[erlang-questions] Millions of processes?

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Thu Sep 25 16:30:01 CEST 2008

On 25-Sep-08, at 2:39 AM, Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> There where other micro kernels around at the time. At least 2 had
> benchmarks showing them to be faster than ''macro kernels''.

Does a generic 'faster' metric/scale really exist when comparing
operating systems?

What I tend to see in benchmarks of complex systems like filesystems,
databases, operating systems is that it's multivariate, workload
dependent, and simply leads to differing sweet spots. And frequently,
there are important attributes unconnected with performance...

--Toby

> bengt
>
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:20 +1000, jm wrote:
>> This was generally true only of the early micro kernels.
>> Apparently, the
>> Mach kernel is slow when compared to the newer L4 kernel. see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family#History
>>
>> Jeff.
>>
>> Bengt Kleberg wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> It is not only _ideas_ in computer science that are held in
>>> contempt (as
>>> quoted below). Ages ago (before 2000) I read an article about
>>> Linux in
>>> embedded environments. The article quoted Linus Torvalds on why
>>> not to
>>> use micro kernels. The reasons where that they are:
>>> 1 Experimental
>>> 2 Complex