[erlang-questions] currying and lazy evaluation questions

John Hughes john.hughes@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 07:05:09 CEST 2008

There's another problem with this approach: it involves copying a function
between processes (in the spawn_link in delay below). As has been pointed
out several times recently, this copying losing all sharing in the
representation. Function closures can contain a LOT of sharing in their
representations, and this can really blow up memory use--you can send a
function from a process with a heap of a few kilobytes, and find you're
failing to allocate half a gigabyte or so in the receiver. If one tried to
model lazy evaluation this way, and made much use of it, then I would expect
this to happen quickly. (It certainly happened quickly to me!)

John