[erlang-questions] Some facts about Erlang and SMP

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Tue Sep 16 22:59:10 CEST 2008

Kenneth,

Thank you very much for answering many, if not all, of my questions. It is
extremely useful to get an authoritative answer like yours, upon which one
can base objective performance-related decisions.

For example, as you stated,

>> Of course the running
>> of several VM's require that the application can run
>> in many parallel tasks which has no or very little communication with
>> each other.

If using -smp disable (not +S 1, which I mistakenly thought was equivalent
to -smp disable), there are applications that could benefit considerably,
such as those that have many thousands of concurrent TCP/IP-initiated
processes (what Joe Armstrong calls "naturally concurrent") that are not
related to each other and therefore have no significant cross-VM IPC. A
non-database backed content-serving web site is one example. Partitioning
what would amount to numerous HTTP GET requests across multiple Erlang -smp
disabled VMs, one per core, using a hardware load balancer, is likely to
show performance benefits over the homogeneous SMP approach. Note that this
scenario is consistent with your requirements of (a) little or no cross-VM
IPC and (b) little or no heavy Mnesia or ETS table sharing.

One could potentially make good use of a CPU affinity command such as
taskset (as you mentioned). This would have applicability where, for
example, one wanted to "reserve" some CPUs for non-Erlang usage, such as to
run some special-purpose high-priority application that would suffer
performance-wise if it were to be preempted by the OS. If using -smp
disable, then the single thread of a VM can safely be affinitied to a
specific CPU or core and will not "migrate" to other processors. In
addition, it is arguably possible that in this and similar scenarios,
keeping a VM on a single core will benefit from improved processor and data
cache hit rates and reduced or eliminated cache coherency storms. The part
that is arguable is that if the VM itself is preempted, the contents of the
processor cache may become invalidated anyway. This suggests that the VM
should be run at an elevated priority and be kept busy so that it is always
the top contender for the OS run queue and seldom gets rescheduled.

Of course, this is advanced performance tweaking and will probably be
unnecessary for the majority of Erlang applications. However, for those who
are trying to wring the last iota of performance out of their applications,
this information can be invaluable.

In more common situations, this information can help Erlang-based system
designers avoid lock contention by taking it into account when designing
around database and ETS tables. In some cases it may make sense to have a
process that owns a private table, and have all other processes interact
with the table via this "gatekeeper". Careful measurement and thought will
be needed to establish whether the bottleneck created by serializing access
through an Erlang gen_server-style process is better or worse than the
bottleneck created by serializing access through an ETS table lock, for
example.

One final thought is that whenever some product is invented for a specific
purpose, and excels at that purpose, as it becomes more popular it begins to
get used in ways that its original designers never anticipated. Some of
these uses are in line with the original design intent, but push the
envelope and need improvements to the product implementation, and others are
simply stretching the capabilities of the product in inappropriate
directions. This has been seen in numerous cases, and seems to stem from the
desire to have one tool that can do everything, and not have to know and
support multiple tools. Then we have a hammer, and the world starts to look
like a collection of nails.

As far as I can see, the answer is always the same: use the tool that is
right for the job. Don't fall into the trap of "100% Pure Erlang"
everywhere. It's less convenient, but if you want performance, offload the
heavy crunching stuff to 'C' drivers. For example, instead of using xmerl
for heavy XML processing, do what ejabberd does: use the 'C' expat parser
via a linked-in driver. The Ruby community had exactly the same issue with
XML parsing. Need heavy use of regular expressions? Use re, not regexp. Need
heavy database processing? Maybe Mnesia is not the right tool for this
particular job, although it may excel in the dimension for which it was
designed: soft real-time telecomms applications. And so on. True, it is less
convenient to have to step outside the environment in which one has become
comfortable, and have architecture-specific applications (and risks to the
robustness of the VM if the LID has any crashworthy bugs), but sometimes if
you need the performance, and your algorithms are already appropriate, you
have to use the right tool for the job and take the risks.

As support for this argument, the AXD301 project has "a couple of million"
lines of Erlang code, and at one point had over 1 million lines of C/C++
code. The exact numbers seem to be elusive or outdated (the Erlang FAQ is
way out of date, and other documents I found are vague as to how much C/C++
is currently used); if someone (e.g. Ulf Wiger) could provide more accurate
information I'd appreciate it. How much of the C/C++ code is used for device
interfaces and is hence unavoidable, how much for efficiency considerations,
and how much for other purposes is not known to me. Still, the point is that
this is not a "100% pure Erlang" implementation, and I would be very
surprised if at least some of that C/C++ code was not there for efficiency.

Thank you again.

Regards,
Edwin Fine