[erlang-questions] My frustration with Erlang

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Sep 12 19:52:16 CEST 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 5:14 PM, Edwin Fine wrote:

> What is your hardware configuration? How many cores are available? The
> reason I ask is because some people have seen better performance in
> certain
> clustering-type Erlang applications by running one VM per core, each
> VM
> running in +S 1 (non-SMP) mode, instead of using SMP. Have you tried
> this?

I ran the same test with +S 1. It doesn't look like SMP affects things
too much in terms of # requests per second.

The big difference is that the test runs through to the end, no
gen_server timeouts. It starts timing out with 2k games and ~7K
players, though.

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:42:55 ===
     requests: 910
     bytes: 24558
     requests_per_second: 90
     bytes_per_second: 2455

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:05 ===
     requests: 11222
     bytes: 308699
     requests_per_second: 1122
     bytes_per_second: 30867

10 Mnesia overloaded reports (x10).

=ERROR REPORT x10 ==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:09 ===
Mnesia('1@REDACTED'): ** WARNING ** Mnesia is overloaded: {dump_log,

write_threshold}

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:15 ===
     requests: 4461
     bytes: 60746
     requests_per_second: 442
     bytes_per_second: 6025

=ERROR REPORT x6 ==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:16 ===
Mnesia('1@REDACTED'): ** WARNING ** Mnesia is overloaded: {dump_log,

write_threshold}

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:25 ===
     requests: 1874
     bytes: 24746
     requests_per_second: 187
     bytes_per_second: 2470

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:35 ===
     requests: 3864
     bytes: 55476
     requests_per_second: 384
     bytes_per_second: 5516

=ERROR REPORT x4 ==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:38 ===
Mnesia('1@REDACTED'): ** WARNING ** Mnesia is overloaded: {dump_log,

write_threshold}
=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:45 ===
     requests: 9752
     bytes: 84331
     requests_per_second: 974
     bytes_per_second: 8425

=ERROR REPORT x7 ==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:47 ===
Mnesia('1@REDACTED'): ** WARNING ** Mnesia is overloaded: {dump_log,

write_threshold}
1000 games finished
Elapsed: 59.147214s, Average run time: 0.059147214 seconds
Mb exited successfully, 59.148019 seconds elapsed
ok
(1@REDACTED)3>

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Sep-2008::18:43:55 ===
     requests: 10950