[erlang-questions] Memory usage

Francesca Gangemi francesca@REDACTED
Tue Sep 9 21:33:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

we notice that nodes crash during a load test because they cannot
allocate more memory.
The slogan from the crash dump says
"eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 3328160 bytes of memory (of type old_heap")."

Memory information reports the following values
total              2468460696
processes     2060871072
processes_used     2060858920
system              407589624

If then I look at the process information and I add up the Stack+heap
values for all the processes I get 243183460 bytes. This number is quite
less than the processes_used one.
I wonder if something else is added up to the process_used memory value.

We run the test using R11B-3 and R12B-4.
There are 6000 processes running under a supervisor. They generate xml
requests and parse xml responses. The XML structure is quite complex and
its size is up to 80KB.

The following lines report information about allocated areas

sys_misc     3422757
static     14417920
atom_space     163860    162413
atom_table     91901
module_table     5768
export_table     48008
register_table     852
fun_table     3250
module_refs     4096
loaded_code     4553244
dist_table     555
node_table     299
bits_bufs_size     0
bif_timer     40604
link_lh     0
proc     3995708    3988028
atom_entry     316564    316276
export_entry     312364    312172
module_entry     12088    11888
reg_proc     6320    6104
monitor_sh     253288    252248
nlink_sh     362060    358844
proc_list     28    28
fun_entry     60724    60220
db_tab     12848    10416
driver_event_data_state     28    28
driver_select_data_state     1000    328

Kind regards
Francesca