[erlang-questions] Application granularity (was: Parallel Shootout & a style question)

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Fri Sep 5 16:41:46 CEST 2008

> One thread I found about parallel LC was this:
> http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-October/
> 023441.html
>
> Where you, Jay, suggested explicitly parallel LCs.

A later posting proposed a gen_stream library:

http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2007-December/
031634.html

which was a change in my thinking based on the earlier failed
proposition,
the introduction of binary comprehensions (which I think were a
fantastic
addition, although I'm a bit biased) and the flurry of discussions about
the Wide Finder project.

I have intended to resubmit with the addition of continuation-based
gen_streams, but haven't found the time to make the modifications yet.

All of these were geared to a specific problem rather than the general
issue of arbitrary code: the efficient handling of raw data
in the GB+ (ideally TB+) size so that databases can be replaced with
a big blob of binary data.  Definitely a heavier task than general
computing.

jay