[erlang-questions] erlang, remote slave and OSX

Valentino Volonghi dialtone@REDACTED
Fri Sep 5 07:50:10 CEST 2008

I've been trying to get discoproject.org to run on OSX 10.5.4 with the
system python 2.5.1.

The system works in the following way:

a master node creates a slave node using slave:start_link on a remote
machine (in this case
the same one) and there it immediately starts a bunch of workers using
open_port, in this
case python workers.

erlang is started using the following line:

exec erl +K true\
     -heart\
     -noshell\
     -sname $DISCO_NAME"_master"\
     -rsh ssh\
     -pa "$DISCO_HOME/ebin"\
     -boot "$DISCO_HOME/disco"\
     -kernel error_logger "{file, \"$DISCO_MASTER_LOG\"}"\
     -eval "[handle_job, handle_ctrl]"\
     -disco disco_name \"$DISCO_NAME\"\
     -disco disco_root \"$DISCO_MASTER\"\
     -disco disco_master_host \"$DISCO_MASTER_HOST\"\
     -disco scgi_port $DISCO_SCGI_PORT\
     -disco disco_config \"$DISCO_CONFIG\" </dev/null >/dev/null 2>/
dev/null

There are 2 problems that I'm seeing:

1) The environment PATH as returned by os:getenv("PATH") is basically
not using the
PATH configured in my shell (whether it is bash or zsh). Why?
I get this path:
"disco/node:/opt/local/lib/erlang/erts-5.6.3/bin:/opt/local/lib/erlang/
bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
instead of:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Users/dialtone/bin:/bin:/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/
local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:\
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin:/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/:/
Users/dialtone/dev/depot_tools

2) The worker processes in the slave many times fail during a python's
getaddrinfo() saying that
there's a temporary error in name resolution.

I have no idea what's wrong with point 1.

For point 2 instead the problem might be related to execution
contexts, the problem I'm having
is also explained here: http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-dev/2008/Jul/msg00010.html
  and
I wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Both are fairly weird ones and I understand that these are related to
OSX and the second one
might actually be more related to leopard.

thanks for any help or pointers.

- --
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running MacOS X 10.5