[erlang-questions] Time to update programming rules?

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Fri Sep 5 06:15:25 CEST 2008

Thanks for repeating yourself. I didn't know you had posted about it before,
and sometimes I don't even think of searching the lists, mea culpa.

I empathize with your pain at having to hack modules with
namespace/directory changes. I have done this too many times (actually, once
is too many times) with Java to develop a serious allergy to its namespace
mechanism. Then again, if you are amenable to IDEs, Eclipse allows you to
refactor Java quite painlessly, including moving between namespaces. Of
course, that won't stop namespace changes from breaking someone else's
existing code that uses the old namespace. I will look into C/Mesa and Lace
- they sound interesting.

The worse problem is the ability to have two modules with different names to
refer to the same module. That's a showstopper.

I am reminded of another namespace abomination, namely the addition of
namespaces to XML. XML names were originally allowed to contain the colon
character. This became a way to retrofit namespaces to XML without breaking
backward compatibility (much).

It seems that much evil is done in many spheres to retain backward
compatibility, especially in the face of temporal or market pressures -
remember the segmented x86 architecture? I wonder how many people on this
list were forced to work with the various x86 compiler memory models (IIRC,
tiny, small, compact, medium, large, and huge). I was praying that the 68000
would win. Oh, the horror, the horror...