[erlang-questions] A whole bunch of implementation details

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Sep 5 05:34:29 CEST 2008

On 5 Sep 2008, at 3:20 pm, Dennis Byrne wrote:

> Thank you Richard, Mikael and Raimo.  Here's another question I got
> as a follow up.
>
> Can pids be reused, even though the documentation refers to them as
> unique?  Any info on the underlying implementation of how a pid is
> uniquely generated across a cluster?

A pid identifies
  - a process within
  - an incarnation of
  - a node.
The problem that's been referred to recently in this mailing list
is too few bits for incarnation numbers.
There was previously a problem with 'references' (which are
opaque tokens that don't in fact refer to anything) having too
few bits for comfort; IIRC that was dealt with.