[erlang-questions] Issue with my first program

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge@REDACTED
Thu Sep 4 21:34:19 CEST 2008

Well, I'm finally making the dive into Erlang programming. I have
project at work here that I'm using to learn with. Basically this
program will connect to a tcp server. Then it will begin to parse info
that the server spits out. The data is in this format (plaintext):

command|arg1|arg2#command2|arg2#

So # separates commands and | separates phrases. Here's the code I have so far:

-module(filemonitor).
-export([start/1, dispatchloop/2]).

start(Ip) ->
    {ok, Socket} = gen_tcp:connect(Ip, 9442, [binary]),
    loop(Socket, []).

loop(Socket, Buffer) ->
    receive
	{tcp, Socket, Bin} ->
	    io:format("~p~n", [Bin]),
	    Newbuff = dispatchloop(Bin, Buffer),
	    loop(Socket, Newbuff);
	{tcp_error, Socket, Reason} ->
	    io:format("Error ~p~n", [Reason]),
	    gen_tcp:close(Socket);
	{tcp_closed, Socket} ->
	    io:format("Connection Terminated~n")
    end.

callcommand(Working) ->
    io:format("~s~n", [Working]).

dispatchloop([],Working) ->
    Working;
dispatchloop([H|T], Working) ->
    if
	H == "#" ->
	    callcommand(Working),
	    dispatchloop(T, []);
	true ->
	    dispatchloop(T, Working)
    end.

I get this error:

4> filemonitor:start("192.168.101.170").
<<"getattr|/#">>
** exception exit: function_clause
     in function  filemonitor:dispatchloop/2
        called as filemonitor:dispatchloop(<<"getattr|/#">>,[])
     in call from filemonitor:loop/2

Any ideas I'm stumped....

Thanks,

Timothy