[erlang-questions] Parallel Shootout & a style question

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Wed Sep 3 11:43:44 CEST 2008

Andras Georgy Bekes wrote:
>> We can not detect in runtime by automatic if it pays off to be
>> parallell for e.g. a lists:map.
>>
> To conclude what you've said:
> With Erlang, better efficiency is often not shorter execution time of a
> function call, but less additional CPU load generated by the function
> call, i.e. the total CPU time spent.

  in the near future, we'll be using CPU's with 100's or 1000's of
cores. see e.g. this;

http://www.sics.se/multicore08_abstracts_bios

  on such hardware, it'll be (almost) completely uninteresting how much
CPU time we spend. the important thing will be to parallelize
everything, and we can take for granted that parallel execution will
"pay off". software technologies that doesn't makes this happen under
the hood will be the COBOL of 2010's.

  mats