[erlang-questions] Parallel Shootout & a style question

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Tue Sep 2 22:50:26 CEST 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Isaac Gouy wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Kevin Scaldeferri wrote:
>
>> The problem spec doesn't actually require a specific output, or
>> ordering of that output.
>
> Every problem spec begins with an explicit demand that you diff
> program
> output with a provided expected output file - which does seem awfully
> like requiring a specific output.

Kinda, although the wording makes it sounds more like "don't submit
broken code" than "you must output this exactly" to me.  Anyway, my
latest version keeps the same ordering, so it's a moot point.

>> But, the shootout maintainers have a history
>> of changing the rules retroactively, so it does seem like a good idea
>
>> to try to keep the same order.
>
> The maintainers have a proud history of changing the rules
> retroactively - some people like to characterise that kind of
> behaviour
> as learning from your mistakes.

And some people have other opinions ;-)

-kevin