[erlang-questions] Making rpc calls from escript

Vik Olliver vik@REDACTED
Mon Sep 1 07:15:11 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 22:53 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> I believe you probably need to start net_kernel in order to make that
> rpc call. Without net_kernel running, there is no distributed Erlang.
>
> You should be able to do something like:
>
> net_kernel:start([foobar, longnames]).
>
> (Assuming your hostname is properly configured).

Heh, that got:

** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **
** Hostname 192.168.150.129 is illegal **

The actual Linux hostname is erms1, /etc/hostname is fully qualified,
but hostname -s
gives:
hostname: Unknown host

This doesn't sound too good...