[erlang-questions] Badmatch doesn't propage up in an application?

Kevin q2h46uw02@REDACTED
Fri Oct 31 07:33:46 CET 2008

Hello, I'm going to hope I don't have to include much code because its spread out quite a bit, but I have a feeling you guys can school me quickly on this problem.

I have an erlang "application" behavior, that starts up a supervisor, thats starts up a gen_server, which calls a my library file.

In this lib file there's badmatch error certain to happen.

Listen = hydralib:get_first_arg(listen),

get_first_arg actually returns {ok, Listen}.  This was a very recent rewrite.

Now when I run the app, i get only this in the error_log (actually the terminal)

=INFO REPORT==== 31-Oct-2008::02:20:25 ===
    application: hydra
    exited: {shutdown,{hydra,start,[normal,[]]}}
    type: temporary

Well I had to go digging for this for a while, figure out what I had changed.  If this was in production, and that badmatch was a hard to produce error, I NEVER would find it, and that worries me quite a lot.

Am I doing it wrong?