[erlang-questions] Pattern-matching function?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Wed Oct 29 21:19:40 CET 2008

One solution is to use macros as a wrapper around a fun. So for example you
could define:

-define(pattern(Pat, Ret) , fun (Pat) -> {yes,Ret}; (_) -> no end).

and then use it like:

Match = ?pattern({x,X,y,z}, X),

Match({x,anything,yz}) ==> {yes,anything}.

and use it like:

case Match(Value) of
    {yes,X} -> ... ;
    no -> ...
end

As for Francois request you could probably use macros there as well, but
your question was very general so I can not really give you a suggestion.
What are you after?

As Richard said variables in Erlang don't exist as in Prolog so you can only
"create" them by binding them to a value. They also have to be always bound
so you cannot "return" a variable, only a value which can then be bound to a
variable, as in the macro example above. The X in the macro call never
escapes from the fun it is only used to show which values from the pattern
are returned.

Robert