[erlang-questions] Priviliged ports and effective UID

Christopher Vance cjsvance@REDACTED
Wed Oct 29 01:39:07 CET 2008

An alternate approach, if you have the appropriate permissions, is to
use port forwarding.

On one of my systems, I had port 443 forwarded to 1029, and in the
yaws configuration had port set to 1029 and rhost set to
<something>:443.

(This was embedded, so I used yaws_api:setconf, not a file.)

Setting up the port forwarding requires both the presence of
appropriate software, and of somebody authorized to configure it, but
it does mean that an unprivileged user can from then on start and stop
the server without requiring further privileged actions.

--
Christopher Vance