[erlang-questions] File creation times under Windows

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Tue Oct 28 10:55:04 CET 2008

Dave Smith wrote:
> NTFS stores time properly in UTC.  FAT/FAT32 stores in local time.
> Either way, time should be displayed in local time when
> file:read_file_info/1 is called.
>
> I did a little digging into the driver code an to appears the the
> FileTimeToLocalTime Win32API to convert the time.  I suspect it is this
> API call that is the root of the problem.  I don't have a Windows
> platform to test on, so I can't dig any further, but there is a
> discussion here <http://www.codeproject.com/KB/datetime/dstbugs.aspx>
> that might explain the problem more.

Looks like you're right. It's storing the timestamp in UTC, but then
destroys it when retrieving it, trying to make a local time of it.

Well, still a general bug in Windows, which don't have anything to do
with Erlang. In fact, from the way Windows seems to behave, you get a
better result (in this aspect) from FAT than NTFS file systems...

	Johnny